Friday, October 2, 2009

ABH vs. AGW

For the past nine years Birch and his brothers have escaped to the mountains for a weekend of brotherly bonding and the smell of the fresh outdoors. For months the boys eat, sleep, and dream of the annual ABH (all-brother's hike) adventure while us mommies dread it's arrival ("dread" might be a bit of a harsh word since it has gotten easier for me with ABH taking place when school is in session and the kids getting older). Anyway, this year us girls decided that it was our turn to have an AGW (all-girl's weekend).

This years' ABH hike took place at Mount Stuwart and AGW took place in Spokane, WA. The boys were missing two brothers this year.

So here we go with ABH vs. AGW:

We ate nothing but the best...
Gotta love that Mountain House food!
A friend came over and taught us all how to make homemade pasta, focaccia bread, and molten lava cakes. Check out our new Domestic Ditto Divas blog for some tasty recipes.

We drank only out of logo adorned water bottles...

Kelly enjoying a swig from his pumped mountain fresh water.
Blayre showing off her new AGW water bottle.

We pampered each other...
Birch taping Brent's heel up after a painful day of hiking.
Julia gave pedicures to most of the sisters.

At the end of a long day hiking/shopping we treated ourselves to a nice dinner...
The boys culminated their hike by a juicy burger and greasy fries.
The girls enjoyed a tasty dinner at Laguna Cafe after a long afternoon of shopping.

We stayed up late...
The nights were extra toasty for the boys since Logan surprised each of them with stocking caps in their alumni college color.
I was just plum tuckered out from all that chatting, shopping, and crafting that I couldn't even make it through our movie-a-thon.

We treated ourselves to an afternoon of relaxation...
Nothing like relaxing in a lake of freezing water!
Saturday afternoon we went to Highland Spa for two hours of heaven. The spa has a spa school in the basement and offers some great deals on discount spa parties. Our afternoon included a foot bath and massage, table massage, hair mud mask, face mud mask, and plenty of time to eat treats and visit with each other. I'm counting down until my next visit.

We were silly...


We were quite crafty...
Brent threw the Frisbee in the water and so Birch and Brent were "crafty" with their method of retrieval---a hiking stick.
The nights were busy with us girls making flower and ribbon hair clips and earrings.

We worked really hard...
Kelly making it through the rough terrain.
Deena breaking out a sweat after purchasing this great rug at TJ MAX.

We thought of others...
Well, I'm sure the boys most of been thinking of others at some point during their weekend away.
Sunday morning Debbie (Birch's mom) organized a great little service project sewing together School Bags for worldwide humanitarian service. We were busy beavers but still have some more work to do to finish our goal.

We took pictures of ourselves...
I call this "ABH Boyz 2 Men" pose.
I just love all these ladies!!!

So there you have it!!! I'm sure both of us would openly say that our weekends weren't quite long enough but that we relished each minute we were together. What a great tradition...one that I am going to keep looking forward to!!

9 comments:

Mama Nirvana said...

Obviously you didn't do this all on the same weekend. Did it work out to take turns? And, Sara, I LOVE your hair!

Amy

Jessica said...

Your hair looks so sassy & cute, Sara! Looks like a fun time was had by all!

Annie Ditto said...

GREAT post!! So creative! But I must say, if it's ABH VS. AGW...AGW wins, at least in the food catagory!!

Duludes said...

To fun. I have had those molten lava cakes 3 times in the last month. Wow Alysee sure gets some of here good looks from her Aunts on the Ditto side.
So did you go and get your hair done agian from Angie? I just started Beverly Lewis new Amish book. Can't remember the title of the top of my head. Heck maybe my next AGW with my sister can be to Lancaster County PA.

emily a. said...

Your hair really is cute. I'm sad you didn't call and tell me about it- when did you get it done?

Well, I do have to say it both looks like great weekends but I'd pick AGW anyday too.

The Ditto clan said...

I'm just wondering why we didn't do it sooner! Here's to another AGW!

Matt's Blog said...

What a creative post...nice work!

Keri said...

Personally the girls weekend looks more fun to me. When are you gonna teach me how to do the cute bows? Get healthy first :)

Rachel said...

Wow, that sounds so fun! I really want to plan something like this for my family...you're all so cute!!